I'm Ditching Shampoo & Conditioner; Here's Why You Should Too
This whole debacle started from my loathing for buying two different bottles of plastic twice a month - just for my locks.
I also have a pet peeve of my shower being crowded with products, and them being knocked over in the shower, creating a domino effect, until all your shit is on the shower floor. Kill me!
Last month I decided enough was enough. I opted to ditch my conventional hair care products for Dr. Bronners, all in one soap, which I now use for my body, my shampoo, and for cleaning the shower itself. One recycable bottle every two months, less plastic, and better results!
It's been a hard break up, but by going holistic, I'm staying true to my values and feeling beautiful while doing so.
Here's how I go about it, as well as the significant benefits of going "no-poo."
- Wash hair with a natural shampoo. I like Dr. Bronners, but there are many other eco-friendly brands on the market. I've listed some at the bottom of the page.
- DIY Conditioner: In a large cup add: 5 tbsp of apple cider vinegar (ACV), 1/2 a lemons juice, a few drops of essential oil of your choice (for an earthy scent), and fill the rest of the cup up with warm water and rinse your hair from root to tip.
I know this sounds crazy, but it's an essential part of the process. I washed my hair once and skipped this step, and my hair felt like a horse's breakfast the next morning. You're probably wondering why the ACV? It's because it's mildly acidic, and ACV restores the natural pH of the acid mantle. Exposure to this acidity calms the outer layer of the hair, flattening the cuticle, which results in hair that shines and slides smoothly, making it less prone to tangling, snagging, and hair frizz.
- Rinse the DIY conditioner out of your hair with regular water.
- (Optional) Add a dab of coconut oil for extra moisture and shine.
BENEFITS OF GOING HOLISTIC (NO-POO):
- Hair will be fuller, grow quicker, and look healthier.
- Hair will be smoother and more comfortable to detangle, shinier, less frizzy, less prone to breakage, and more moisturized.
- ACV helps prevent fungi and bacteria growth and keeps the hair and scalp healthy.
- ACV also has anti-inflammatory and can help with dandruff and hair loss, since the underlying cause is often bacteria.
- Going No-poo helps the Earth and your wallet.
- Helps with volume and curl definition since it doesn't weigh down strands like silicone-based conditioners, and does not contain any preservatives or added chemicals that might damage your hair!
Would you go, No-poo? Let me know your thoughts in the comment section below.